Eskimo Happenings

Since the start of school I've been taking in the culture and differences that Eskimo life brings.  Since being here I've come to enjoy the culture that's woven into almost every part of life both inside and outside of my classroom.  Recently I've come to expect it, and even look for it to keep my 2nd graders engaged and learning.  Let me share a few things we've been up to so far:

Eskimo Dancing

We have some skilled Eskimo dancers and drummers that have been a part of traveling touring groups (throughout our villages) in the past; recently they've been showing their children and families how to dance.  This video shows K-2nd graders practicing their moves! 


The little ones are pretty cute, huh?

Inupiaq Language & Animals

In Bi-cultural class, my 2nd graders are learning all about the kupik (wolverine), amaguq (wolf), paluktak (beaver), and kayuktuk (fox).  They felt the different pelts and watched videos on how a wolverine can over-power a wolf, even though it is smaller!  A few overcame fears of the animal pelts biting them and in the end, all were brave enough to pet the fur. 




Slowly, I'm picking up some words of Inupiaq- it's a complicated language!  Although I am getting better at saying a few things, my classroom aide corrects me frequently.  I've also come to appreciate the nose-wrinkle (meaning "no") and eyebrow raise (meaning "yes"), as very efficient ways to communicate.  Without noise or needing to pause teaching or verbally communicating with others I can easily respond to bathroom and water fountain questions, and determine when students understand or need clarification on something- entirely based on non-verbal facial expressions.  I am impressed with how quiet our classroom can be with 15 extremely active 7 year olds, and how it can remain quiet for extended periods of time due to non-verbal communication and culturally quiet conversation voices.  Believe me, this in itself is a beautiful, perhaps the most beautiful, thing in my teaching life this year.

So I know the kids are cute and all, but...  Here's an even cuter picture of my face!  It's been so cold here recently.  I've been wearing my rabbit fur hat quite a bit (thanks dad!)  The weather has taken a wintry turn, and thank goodness for wool socks and fur hats.


I'm not sure whether it's been the weather, or just adjusting to a new community, but I just can't seem to get healthy!  The past few weeks have been one thing after the next- first strep throat (for which I received a lovely shot of penicillin from the Health Clinic), then almost right away the stomach bug, followed by a sinus cold, and now a lingering sore throat and cough.  It has been never ending!  Getting sick out in the bush is a bit of an experience.  If you don't have meds with you already, you're pretty much stuck and on your own for inventive herbal remedies made from tundra grasses... (don't actually try that, it's not a real thing).  Unless, your most amazing mother hears of your unfortunate state and....


 ...ships you an entire pharmacy of your very own!  Mother's are pretty great.  Mine is the greatest.  <3

As I attempt to get myself healthy, I'll be researching the survival rates of chickens in the Arctic Circle... along with plans for making a wood pallet insulated chicken coop.  Any and all suggestions on this topic are welcome.

But, before you go, some more pictures of the most adorable 2nd graders you'll ever see:



Comments

  1. LOVE reading your posts!! Is there an inupiaq word for "crazy lady with a bunny hat" ? Your words are reminding me of the time I spent in Navajo land.... I bought a tape to try and learn the language.... it was called Navajo made easier... not easy, because it was not. And I was sick the first few months, and after that it was all good. The worst was Shigella diarrhea b/c they do not have water, so wait about 2-3 months to do laundry in town.... my suggestion... get your own washing machine if possible... prob isn't but.... yikes.

    thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Mrs. Hall!! That certainly sounds like an adventure!! In Brevig we use fresh water from the mountains- I only worry that it has too many harsh minerals for my hair to handle, otherwise it seems to be clear and clean! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts