Finally, Africa

I'm back, people.  And I know you're just dying to read a lengthy post about a crazy lady and her African adventures... so fasten your seat belts (actually that's optional in Africa, so you decide what you want to do with that), and here we go!

The internet (unfortunately for you) has not been a very involved part of my life recently.  In Africa, available wifi is not a common occurrence.  Currently, I am enjoying a beautiful New Zealand winter, where internet seems to be a bit more accessible; but I'll save those stories for another time.  Since my summer vacation has started, I've been extremely fortunate to be able to visit a friend of mine in Africa.  

Africa has always had a certain hold on my heart, since before I can remember.  Traveling there to discover the people, culture, language, and ways of life has been firmly grounded in my heart for a long time.  I can't explain to you what it is that draws me there, all I can say is that it's a God thing.  It took a little while after landing to hit me that I had actually made it to Africa, the place I had been praying for for so many years, but when it did, it hit me hard.  The sunset from the plane in Burundi was a purely magical, and praise-filled moment.


But it's not just the land and beautiful scenery my heart longs for, it's the people.  Let me tell you about how the beautiful people of Rwanda have become family, and their beautiful country a place my heart yearns for even more than before.

I stayed with a friend of mine in Rwanda, which I believe was the absolute best way to get to know the country.  We spent time with his family at home, and were able to do lots of adventuring around Kigali and other parts of the country too!  I will forever think of the little cousins as family, and can't wait to go back and enjoy their smiling faces and wonderfully hysterical company.  I can't tell you how many times we all got to laughing so hard no one could breathe, and how happy I am to have gotten to know these precious kids.


While in Rwanda we did a lot of exploring, but a few highlights included bargaining our way through the market, camping in the Akagera National Park, spending time at Ubaka U Rwanda boys home, and visiting a local primary school.  

The market was such an experience.  By the twentieth time we went (maybe I exaggerate a little, but we found ourselves there quite often), I had become pretty fluent in the art of bargaining the vendors down from their Mzungu (white person) prices to more reasonable prices.  At first though, the market was an overwhelming assortment of bright colors, partially understood Kinyarwanda phrases, eager faces, and rows and rows of stalls containing any kind of fabric, clothing, jewelry, carvings, baskets, etc. you could imagine.  Making our way through the different parts of the huge building always took longer than we expected, mostly due to how quickly distracted I could become... :)


Camping in Rwanda's national park was quite an adventure as well.  We spent some time gathering a few tents, some easy camp food, water, and hired a driver to take us on a sort of safari through the park!  We cooked ourselves an aluminum foil wrapped dinner of chicken with potatoes and carrots, I managed to lose a few games of chess by the campfire, and woke up to a beautiful sunrise across Lake Ihema.  



We also saw some animals.  My phone wasn't great at taking pictures of them, but they look like normal African animals; impalas, giraffes, baboons, zebras, etc.  You are probably wondering why I am not more excited about the typical and cliche African safari.  While in Africa, I learned a very important, and surprising, fact about myself.  I am just not a safari girl.  I don't like them.  They actually are one of the more terrible things I've participate in while travelling... Yes, the animals are cool.  They are just as cool, though, in zoos, where I have seen them before.  And in the zoo, unlike during a safari, you are able to have your own space and use your own legs without becoming claustrophobic or car sick.  The parks where safari's are taken are often also enclosed areas, and although usually bigger than zoos, the "natural habitat" argument is invalidated (for me anyways).  Other people may thoroughly enjoy their African safari's in their goofy hats and tan cargo pants in the African summer heat, and that's fantastic for them, but I'd rather spend my time unconfined, free from enclosed vehicles and noisy engines, climbing mountains or getting to know people.  

Rant over.  Moving on to the more important things in life....

We visited both the boys home, Ubaka U Rwanda while in Kigali, and were able to visit with the boys' "mom" and "dad" for awhile, as well as donate some needed items (underwear, sneakers, etc.).  I am so excited for the boys to have a brand new home soon!  We were able to see the building site of their new house, and the happiness and energy of the boys "dad" was contagious as he explained to us all the extra space they will be having, larger bathrooms, a garden, and larger yard for the boys to play.  Here's the progress they've done so far, but you can follow them on Facebook for more updated info on the amazing things they are doing for the street boys of Kigali, Rwanda!


On one of the last days I was in Rwanda, we visited a local primary school.  The 3-5 year old students absolutely melted my heart.  We exchanged information with the teachers to stay in contact and have our students write/video back and forth with each other as both groups of kiddos practice their English skills.  I hope to be able to keep you updated on the correspondence between my students in Alaska and the students in Rwanda- I can safely say you can expect it to be 100% adorable.  Working with children is one of the big reasons I fully intend on returning to Rwanda; being in that school for only a few hours touched my heart in ways I can't explain.  I plan to bring school supplies and hopefully spend much more time with students on my next trip. 


I'm not sure how your heart wouldn't just melt into a puddle with one look at those little faces. <3

I think the most important part of my visit in Rwanda was experiencing a country that had been shattered, ripped, and torn to pieces just over a decade ago, and the ways that they've overcome and pulled together to rebuild themselves.  When I think about the genocide and the terrors that some have lived through and so many loved ones have lost their lives to, and how Rwanda is now a country of peace, forgiveness, growth, and support.  It's such a powerful testimony, guys.  Our God can do amazing things with the darkest and most painful situations, and His works and ability to change hearts is truly awe-inspiring.  I am moved, and humbled, in big ways.

See you again soon, Rwanda. 








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts