2nd Grade: Behind the Scenes

My kiddos this year are a dream; really, they're fantastic and I have a blast with them every day and it is such a refreshing experience.  I've found that it's important to feel good at what you do.  At least most days.  There are some days, however, when you realize just how NOT good at your job you can be.  Fortunately for me, the tiny humans I spend my days with are a very forgiving bunch, and my sucky-ness is often overlooked.  After all, the 100th day of school was highly celebrated... on the 101st day of school.  Because sometimes you forget about things.  Like the excitement of 12 little 2nd graders waking up and rushing to school ready for a day of fun and exciting games and 100th day treats, parties, and decorations.  Yes, I am dream-crusher.  Just call me the grinch of the 100th day.  I apologized profusely, but their little sad faces were terribly heart-crushing.  They even tried to hide how sad they were so I wouldn't feel bad, the little cuties.  They did eventually get over it though, and also collectively decided that the 101st day of school could be just as fun!

Crowns read: "100 Days Smarter!"  Photo taken on Feb 2, the 101st day of school.

After realizing what a failure I was, they took over my job and I was demoted to the position of Classroom Picture Taker while they ran the classroom and taught the lessons for the day.

Teaching the reading lesson

I am happy to say that now, two weeks later, they have promoted me to the double duty position of Snack Maker and Band Aid Applier.  They seem to be running everything else just fine themselves.

Working on some story sequencing
In all seriousness though, I am more than proud of them.  They can be quite amusing little humans, but watching them grow and discover the power of working and learning together makes my heart so full.  I wouldn't trade my days with these little ones for anything.  Even if I do apply 185 band aids a day, tuck jacket sleeves into mittens at least 20,000 times a day, and constantly ask myself how I am sticky again after I just washed my hands for the 99th time today!?!???  

It's all worth it. 


Comments

  1. You are not sucky!!! You are amazing! The 101st day of school is pretty darn cool too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts